International Competition on Runtime Verification
Runtime verification is concerned with the monitoring and analysis of the runtime behaviour of software and hardware systems. Runtime verification techniques are crucial for system correctness, reliability, and robustness; they provide an additional level of rigor and effectiveness compared to conventional testing, and are generally more practical than exhaustive formal verification. Runtime verification can be used prior to deployment, for testing, verification, and debugging purposes, and after deployment for ensuring reliability, safety, and security and for providing fault containment and recovery as well as online system repair.
The Runtime Verification Competition, which started from 2014 and usually held as a satellite event of the International Conference on Runtime Verification (RV), is an international workshop on competitions, usability, benchmarks, evaluation, and standardization for runtime verification tools. This workshop aims:
- Stimulate the development of new efficient and practical runtime verification tools and the maintenance and improvement of the already developed ones.
- Produce a benchmark suite for runtime verification tools, by sharing case studies and programs that researchers and developers can use in the future to test and to validate their prototypes.
- Discuss the metrics employed for comparing the tools.
- Provide a comparison of the tools on different benchmarks and evaluate them using different criteria.
- Enhance the visibility of presented tools among the different communities (verification, software engineering, cloud computing and security) involved in software monitoring.
The first international Competition on Runtime Verification (CRV-14) was held in September 2014, in Toronto, Canada. The event was organized in three tracks:
- offline monitoring,
- online monitoring of C programs, and
- online monitoring of Java programs.
Some benchmarks and trace data of CRV 2014 are collected in our data portal. See the Dataset for CRV 2014
Links to past CRV events can be found at the following permanent link.
The most recently RV, the 17th International Conference on Runtime Verification will take place in Seattle, US on 13-16 September 2017.